The new coastal touring route of North Iceland
The Arctic Coast Way launches summer 2019 and is the first official touring route in Iceland. Go off the beaten track to discover some of the most remote places in Iceland; a unique adventure following 900km of coastal roads close to the Arctic Circle.
The route includes six peninsulas, taking you from black sandy beaches to spectacular cliffs, along glacial river deltas and fjords to high mountains. Five beautiful islands offer unforgettable experiences and small towns along the way tell unique stories about life on the edge of the arctic.
You could drive the whole route in one go – or slow down and discover the wonders of the Arctic Coast Way. The dramatic shifts of light from midnight sun to northern lights and the seasonal palette of colours from winter’s pristine white to autumn’s fiery tones offer you a different perspective each time, with new adventures awaiting you.
- More than 20 fishing villages from Hvammstangi to Bakkafjörður.
- The northernmost points of Iceland and the only place to cross the Arctic Circle
- Boat transfer to six islands.
- Excellent places for whale watching, seal watching and birding.
- Stunning coastal hikes and a wide variety of outdoor activities.
- Eight geothermal pools.
- Music and culture festivals.